RE: [Junk released by Allow List] Re: Hang This (Wikipedia entry on XyWrite)

Easily implemented in XPL, as I said in a previous message.
The difference is that instead of having to determine the numeric
distance to set an indent, you visually place the  where you want
the following lines to start indenting:

Hang the indents back there.
_____Next line starts here.
_____And the line after that starts here.
_____And the line after that starts here.

Now we're back to the default margin.

It's not something you'd want to use if you have many indents, spread
throughout the document, that need to be a consistent distance from the
margin. Where I've used them the most is for something like a definition
list. Where the indent is determined by the length of the word(s) being
defined.

-B

-----Original Message----- From: Harry Binswanger

>What you're referring to, Bill, is called a "Hang". In ye old
>electronic typesetting language it would be implemented with a "hang
>here" command , and would be active until no longer needed, then an

> would cancel it.
>
>I'm guessing that a hang is somewhat tricky to institute as I've only
>seen them in composition "engines", as opposed to fancy typewriters
>like XyWrite.

I don't follow what the problem here is.  does operate from
"here"
on. And you cancel it by setting another value for . So what's
the
problem?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx