Off topic: typography

I don't normally bother with this sort of thing, but the name Garamond
(one of my favorite faces) caught my attention. It appears that the
French government is liquidating the national printing house, and putting
into storage all its accumulated centuries of type samples etc. and
selling off everything else. A group of connoiseurs of type have gotten
up a petition to try and halt this piece of centime-wise, franc-foolish
economy. Take a look at http://www.garamonpatrimoine.org/petition.html
for the petition (in several languages; note that there's no provision
for Americans; if you want English you'll have to click on the Union
Jack) --and break your heart at the elegant type it's set in.

Patricia