XY4.018 and footnotes and endnotes.

 In my continuing struggle with footnotes and endnotes, which I
 have decided to transfer to a separate file when I have more than
 twenty, I have run into a minor problem even with less than twenty,
 and I wonder if someone can suggest a solution. This is the problem.
 I go into a note to edit it, make the edit, exit the notes in the
 approved way, and I expect the cursor to be either on or near the just
 edited note, ...but it isn't. It can be almost anywhere in the file,
 and is often very far away from the just edited note. And yet, there
 is nothing wrong with the edit. The edit has taken. Oh, I should
 mention, that when I go back to check the note to see if the edit
 has taken (and it always has), and exit the note, this time the
 cursor usually behaves properly. Has anyone else experienced this?
 Is there a solution? What am I doing wrong?

 M.W. Poirier