Re: Code Page strait jacket (?)

** Reply to message from J R FOX  on Sat, 16 Jul 2005
12:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

> One's Code Page setting seems to be under the
> jurisdiction of the operating system. I find nothing
> changeable in this regard in Settings.Dfl or Xy
> generally, except for the VA$CP reporting facility.
> Code Page does not seem to garner any mention in the
> Help for the Jumbo U2 . . .

It's the LAnguage command -- CRG pp. 4-177 to 178. This has been discussed
here on occasion (most recently, with *you*:
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2002/msg00633.htm). See also
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2002/msg02435.htm for effects
of various display modes. Set your default in SETTINGS.DFL:
 ;LA sets the Code Page
 df la=850
Embed  or  at beginning of a document, to determine the Code Page
for that file. You have only those two choices, 437|850 -- a grievous
misfortune; if XyWrite had the same total flexibility that WordPerfectDOS has
with respect to Code Pages (you can even invent your own!), I wouldn't have had
to develop ANSIfied XyWrite (i.e. to get CP1252). And no, it is not sufficient
to simply use a 1252 (or whatever) font; there are many other ramifications (on
PRNs especially). Interestingly, in NBWin, they've changed the LAnguage
command completely: it's now  (and, I suppose,  etc),
which means (probably) that LA no longer has anything to do with Code Pages.
In Xy4 the LAnguage command definitely changes the character set. In any case,
this is one embedded command that isn't upwardly compatible (there are very few
Xy4 commands that aren't transparently understood in NB -- but this is one of
them).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx