XyWrite for Linux

Bill Mallon:
>> Can you even use XyWrite with a Linux system?

Peter Evans:
> You can use DOS programs with a Linux system; thus you can use XyWrite
with a Linux system. However, a native Linux version of XyWrite would
require rewriting from the ground up.

> Has anybody ever thought about trying to interest Red Hat
> or the Linux crowd into resurrecting XyWrite?

> There is no Linux crowd, but there are interrelated and overlapping
Linux
crowds. I doubt very much that any of them would want to work on a DOS
program, or reverse-develop Xy for Linux.

I believe (& hope!) that's too discouraging. Linux programmers &
developers exist in very large numbers & work in every field of
computing. . . . See also the billion-dollar Linux push by IBM --
notably its newsletter for developers. . . . Add the widespread
perception that Linux has too few run-of-the-office applications, & the
indubitable fact that none of the word processors that run on Linux
(WordPerfect, Abiword, Star Office etc) approach XyWrite in elegance,
effectiveness, & user satisfaction. . . . I would not rule out Red Hat.

> If, disgusted by recent revelations of new nadirs of Microsoft's greed
and arrogance, you're itching to break free from that outfit -- well, me
too.

Observe recent bilge from billg & his MISchiefs: declaring Linux
un-American, communistic, a destroyer of intellectual property, a cancer
in computing, a danger to ordinary business operations. . . . Their
lies can be excused only as emanating from an unreasoning fear for their
moneybags.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle