Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

Hi Robert & everyone,

I like everyone here have great respect for your Robert, and everything you bring to the xy
community, and as i understand thoughts about OS X, etc, i must respectfully disagree.

We can carry this discussion offline, if you think it would be worthwhile, but, imo, i think that OS
X is a very good environment for Unix or novice users. I've used several versions of Unix on several
workstations in my time, and i think that OS X is the first where someone could work extensively in
the GUI and never know that they are running a Unix OS.

I currently use mutt as my mail client and midnight commander as my file manager. I also use vim and
am also investigating using Context as my text processing/layout program. All of these programs
exist first and foremost as Unix programs. (Mutt and midnight commander i install and make(compile
to my machine. So I'm a little techie.)

For the people that complain about Apple, and there are many, my simple response is don't use their
products. That's what we do in a free market, right? If you want to use them, but don't like the
price, do what i do, buy last years model on ebay! Still works, etc.

I even don't dissuade people from installing OS X on non-Apple hardware. I think that's kind of cool
and have thought about doing it myself. HOWEVER, i think if you are a true supporter of open source,
to me that implies you support the open source licensing agreement(s). If you support those
licensing agreements, or any other software's licensing agreements, then i think you should also at
least recognize Apple's licensing agreements which don't support the running of the OS on non-Apple
hardware. But that's just my opinion.

As far as thumbing your nose at a company, and i can understand that, why don't you thumb your nose
and direct some rage at the owner of the source code to Xywrite? Why don't you let that source be
distributed, and let that get into the open source community, and see what some dedicated
programmers can do to bring it to Linux/Unix without having to deal with Windows, Apple or any other
proprietary OS?

fwiw,

Russ