Re: Parse

Robert,
Wow! I got great answers from both you and Carl. Will print them both out. So much to learn, so little time.
Funny you should mention the memory problem with using a lot of S/Gs, I was
going to ask just that, but forgot. My major program uses about 80
different S/Gs. And it does crash. I will try to reduce that number.
 will help. The program is 7480 bytes. (And see below
about parent/child programs.)
Transient Save/Gets only, of course (range
01-99) -- you have to fill out fifteen forms to get permission to use a
Permanent Save/Get 100-1999, and even then, may be denied.

Sir, permission requested to use: 101,102,103, 568-598.
I've been using 568-598 for years, in my XyBasic compiler, to store constants (such as the comma, the period, the quote mark, the guillemets, etc.) No problem has arisen, even when using your U2. I'm using 101-103 in this program for a specific reason, that may not be the right way to do it: my programs for massaging Eudora .mbx files has gotten so large that it caused memory problems, so I split it into two or three sub-programs which I run from a short parent program. But then if a child program hits an error that it needs to exit from, it exits to the parent program, which has to recognize that an error has occurred and halt with a message. So I use 101 to pass an error flag, and 102 and 103 pass data from child program to parent program.

Is this a bad thing? It keeps the number of S/Gs down.

BTW, since I make U2 calls, I "reserve" S/G 50--never use it.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx