Re: U2 version 119

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Wed, 04
Jan 2006 23:45:33 -0500

Judith:

Your first-ever ZIPfile is a wild success. So good, in fact, that I'd now like
you to send me your "XY4.KBD" file.

> Hmm. I don't know what "DOS Window on the Desktop" means, but if
> you meant a DOS shortcut on the desktop, I don't have one and
> couldn't figure out what to browse to to create one, SO, I used
> start=====>>programs=====>>accessories=====>>command prompt,
> where SET PATH  returned a much longer string than the one I
> appended ";C:\XY4;" to through the control panel, but ";C:\XY4;"
> was there at the end of the longer string. If this is not good
> enough, lemme know.

Same difference, and good enough. This gave you a DOS Window, superimposed
upon the Desktop -- a "DOS Window on the Desktop" -- as opposed to a DOS "full
screen" window, i.e. the type of completely black window that, I think, you
usually run XyWrite in. One can get really confused by semantics here. In
Windows terminology, all of these things are (unfortunately) called "windows".
There really isn't a satisfactory, consistent way of referring to these several
types of window that everyone accepts. Generally, I call them "Desktop window"
vs. "full screen" or "full screen session". The "Desktop" is the
basic screenof Windows, with all the top level icons, the Start button, the System Tray,
etc. It seems to me pretty obvious what a "window on the Desktop" means:
almost all programs open as windows on the Desktop! And if you open DOS in a
window on the Desktop (as opposed to full screen), then it's a "DOS Window on
the Desktop". And you ought to make a Shortcut for one, instead of having to
poke around in the deeply-buried Accessories folder (right-click on an empty
area of the Desktop ==> New ==> Shortcut ==> type "CMD.EXE" ==> Next ==> type
"DOS Window" ==> Finish ==> Voila!). I can't imagine working without one. I
always have at least one DOS Window, and often 3 or 4 different DOS Windows,
open on the Desktop.

Anyway, good, you now have Editor's directory in the DOS Path.

Your high memory usage is due mainly to loading SAVEGET.SGT in STARTUP.INT. Do
you actually *use* any of these programs in SAVEGET.SGT? My recollection is
that the functions that would trigger these programs aren't even included in
the factory-issue KBDfile (XY4.KBD) that you are using -- unless you've tweaked
it. In Xy3, these functions (@0, @1, @2, ... @C, @D, @F...) were assigned to
keystrokes Alt-0, Alt-1, Alt-2, Alt-3, Alt-4, Alt-5, Alt-6, Alt-7, Alt-C,
Alt-D, Alt-F, Alt-H, Alt-K, Alt-M, Alt-Q, Alt-R, Alt-S, Alt-T, and Alt-X. Do
you ever use these???

If you *do* use these, then I will show you how to enable them without using up
any permanent memory at all. If you *don't* use them, then please, ASAP, CAll
STARTUP.INT and comment out the line that says "BX LDSGT C:\XY4\SAVEGET.SGT Q2
" -- you "comment out" a line (disable it) by putting ";*;" at the
beginning of
that line, so that it now reads:
;*;BX LDSGT C:\XY4\SAVEGET.SGT Q2 ;*;
SAve the file! Relaunch XyWrite. Command:
 VA/NV $M 6
What number does it reply now?

Also in STARTUP.INT:
On the line that says 'BX d wa="18"Q2 ', remove the quotation marks around "18".

Do you actually use a HYPhenation dictionary? I don't. Consider commenting
out the line that says "BX LOAD C:\XY4\DICT.HYPQ2 ;*;".

Do you need to load XY4.HLP? I don't. (If you do need it, then load it
manually. Once a year, maybe less...) Consider commenting out "BX LOAD
C:\XY4\XY4.HLPQ2 ;*;".

You certainly don't need the line that says "BC default sl=25,sw=80" -- comment
it out (or just erase it). You're already setting these two defaults in
SETTINGS.DFL (previously loaded in STARTUP.INT), so there's no reason to repeat
them here.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx