Re: U2 version 119

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Sun, 08
Jan 2006 00:36:03 -0500

Judith:

> \giants directory appears in text area, with cursor on first line
> page will not scroll, so cursor disappears below screen

Well, that's because you didn't change SETTINGS.DFL from 80/50 to 80/25 to
harmonize with the settings in your Shortcut's Properties. Now -- why in the
world wouldn't you do that? You even SAY that you didn't do it, so you must
realize that it is necessary. I don't get it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it,
no? They MUST be the same! ANY time the cursor disappears out of sight, there
is only ONE reason, and that's because these values don't *agree*. If you want
50, then everything must be 50. If you're aiming for 25, then everything must
be 25. Now, to get yourself back on track, I would go for 25, because that is
the default. (The reason Patricia doesn't see any setting for ScreenLength SL
is that 25 is the internal XyWrite default! And it is the DOS default. Which
she could easily prove to herself by doing VA/NV SL.)

> call file again, the new word wasn't saved, N must have been default

RECA is a lot easier way to "call file again". Yes, "N" is the
default: the prompt says "y/N". If "N" is capitalized and "y" is
lower case,
then "N" is the default.

I can't reproduce this "jiggly cursor" problem. I get clean behavior. It
sounds, if I understand what you're seeing, like you're caught in some sort of
loop.

Here's what I don't at all understand: You're not using this in any way
remotely related to the purpose of the frame. The frame is for managing Long
File Names!!! In other words, for calling a file like this:
 CA My Family Vacation in Sunny Sardinia.Spring 2005.document
and then perhaps SToring the same file under a different LONG FILE NAME, e.g.
 ST It Rained Every Day.txt
Command HELP ST for a summary of Usage.

Now, granted, it ought to work equally well with 8.3 filenames -- and for me,
it does. Perfectly. Something, I suspect, is goofed up in your system.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx