Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

Harmon Seaver:

> Novell [is] a windoz app, all the way.

Really? Well well. I thought it was (on 386es and above, at least) a
superset of MS-DOS. (Unlike Lantastic, say.)

>  Why is it only what *you* have interest in? We're talking about
>installing windoz apps vs. installing unix apps -- I'm sure you have no
>interest in any of the unix apps either, so why did you bring it up?

Well, um, because (1) I'm concerned about what I'm interested in, because
after all that's what I'm interested in. But beyond that tautology,
because (2) I'd like to read about the real world--about particular, named
programs. (Which are the programs, or kinds of programs, that are easier
to install/run on UNIX/Linux than Windoze? I'm very willing to believe
that they exist.) And because (3) I'm primarily a XyWrite-using processor
of words. I like XyWin but I'm not wedded to it. I'd like to find out
about how to diminish the bugginess of XyWin, run worthwhile complements to
XyWin, or obtain a superior replacement to XyWin.

What's the name of the non-WordPerfect "suite" for Linux that I think you
mentioned the other day? (Or of any other interesting word processor for
Linux, or [not UNIX, I realize] BeOS?) If I know the name(s), I can go
surfing for further info.

>  Try running a university computer lab once, you'll find plenty viri.
>We format every HD of every public computer once a week -- plus run
>F-Prot every day.

As it happens, I'm on the steering committee for one university's computer
labs. In three years, the subject of computer viruses hasn't once come up
in a meeting. The university continues to shell out money for virus
protection software, plugged into AUTOEXEC. The cost isn't exorbitant, and
I've never made any objection to it. Since it seems that every student
religiously turns off the computer once he or she is done with it, the
computers have a half-life of two years, but they certainly get frequent
virus checks.

Peter Evans