Re: html docs

≪ (ascii 10, I think, is a special offender). ≫

≪[...] a prog called x102cr [...] changes all occurrences of ascii-10 to
the 13/10 combo we're used to. Don't try to monkey with it. It uses
3-byte or 5-byte control chars (I forget which) to do what it does. [...]≫

Joe: You're making this sound lots harder than it need be. The number of
bytes per char in straightforward ascii 13 and 10 conversions is a
nonissue. The only caveat is that unless you convert newlines (the
combined ascii 13/10 familiar to xyWrite and dos users) first to the
temporary substitute character used in the ci process I described,
you end up with zillions of unwanted newlines. I stopped using the old
XyQuest FIXCR after I realized that simple ci's do the job with no fuss
or muss; v4 (which Jim says he uses mostly) makes it even easier than v3,
especially in xpl. My xpl offline reader does such conversions a few
times a day, every day, every time I download the file that includes
everything I collect from the 'net--Usenet and www as well as email.
Since the downloaded file--sometimes close to half a mb--is unix ascii,
it contains only ascii 10s as line endings, but the program merges it
with a commware log that often contains mixed line endings. Plain vanilla
ci's (a teensy part of a program that does lots of other stuff) make all
line endings uniform newlines. No big deal. ... Ciao.	--a