Re: NTVDM and Duo core processors

At 02:14 PM 12/27/2007, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Harry Binswanger wrote:
Michael Norman has found out that NTVDM can crash on some dual core processors.
Hmm, haven't had that problem on either the latest XP box at the
office (AMD dual-core) nor this Vista laptop (Intel dual-core).
There is a utility (IMAGECFG.EXE) that is supposed to set the "affinity" of NTVDM,

No such file on Vista; will check the XP system today or tomorrow.
You have to shag it off the net. It came with W2K only, I think. If
you want it, let me know and I'll send the link. Didn't do Harry any
good, but along the way Harry discovered that WIN's task manager can
be used to set a program's affinity (right-click the process to see
the choices), so you don't really need the utility. Also, apparently,
only some dual-core processor's hang NTVDM. All my machines are
single-core so I can't test. In any case, if the behavior is
idiosyncratic, testing is pointless. Either you have the problem or
you do not. Question is, if you do (again, apparently) like Harry,
how do you solve it.
Michael Norman