Re: Xy on Mac revisited-Parallel Universe

Lisa, I've been following your exploits with Parallels
with interest. By chance I've just come across a
review of it. Highly positive, I'd add. Way
better than Apple's Boot Camp. Amongst the points
it makes:

It needs the installation disk of any OS it is to
run - Windows 3.1 to Vista, Linux, Solaris, Dos ..

Each OS installed has its own space on the hard
disk - but copying and pasting files between
systems is apparently possible.

Lisa Kleinholz wrote:
I have not been able to get the VM to engage with my CD drive, although
the documentation seems to say that I should be able to do it.

I assume DOS has not been properly set up (just using bare minimum
files) and I'm not technically adept enough to know quite where to go
from here.

In an original Dos setup, to get the cd working would need:

- a line in c:\config.sys like
  device = c:\gscdrom.sys /d:mscd000 /v
- and a line in c:\autoexec.bat like
  c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000 /l:f /m:10 /v

but I've no idea if that would work in Parallels.

[mscdex.exe comes with Dos while the .sys file would have been
supplied with the cd drive - and would allow reading only,
not writing. Though there are alternatives available I believe
which allow writing.]
Good luck
Junja