Re: RE OT Search terms

Robert wrote:
Is Harry nostalgic for the man in the grey flannel
suit of the 50s?
It's better than what succeeded it. BTW, I just read the book (Man in the
Grey Flannel Suit)--didn't much like it until very near the end, when the
whole thing turned around.
 I remember that dead and deadening era very very well

Me, too. It was a little stifling (but not as bad as people say).
 (Emmett
Till, McCarthy, Nixon -- standard bearers of liberty).
Emmett who? McCarthy I think was right, but not anti-communist enough.
Nixon--ugh.
 I think the change
dates to the "challenge" of Sputnik (which N.B. was 1958 or thereabouts)
Yes. Sputnik was, of course October 1957, but the "challenge" came a little
later.
 and
the demand for "practicality" and "pertinence" in curricula. My kids studied
Latin starting in the third grade, and persevered with it until twelfth grade
-- their Latin skills are superb, and serve them very well in college and
afterward (my son acquires European languages almost instantly -- three weeks
in Verona, and the kid is fluent). But to do that, they had to omit many other subjects of study -- there is only so much time in the day, so many courses per semester. The overwhelming majority of colleges today don't deserve the name:
they are merely vocational training centers. Real liberal arts education,
which prepares one for nothing in particular but used to produce "educated" men
and women, is scarcely available anymore, even at the best schools (my kids
don't even know who Pushkin or Goethe are, much less what they wrote).
Even back in the 70s, when I was teaching at Hunter College, a colleague
told me that he had gotten blank stares when he mentioned Darwin.
But to say that mass vocational preparation is "wrong" strikes me as a very
delicate judgment, for obvious reasons. In my day, few kids went to college.
Today -- well, on the one hand, I can't remember a time when the American
populace (that's who were talking about, I suppose) seemed dumber, more
oblivious of the world, more smugly unaware of their manifold blessings
relative to the other 96%. And yet -- workers need highly honed skills to
survive today, especially ("reason") if America is to keep any kind of
competitive edge. We're not the low-cost producer of anything anymore --
except ideas. And we're losing that advantage too, I think.
It runs through the whole educational system, from grammar school to grad
school. The high-school grads of 1920 knew more than the MBAs of today
know. Personally, I think I learned a lot of what I know in the way of
general culture from high-school (1958-1961). My wife is (permit me to
brag) 19 years younger than I, and I see the difference between my
high-school education and hers.
And here's a fascinating sidebar: my wife and her siblings grew up in
Brookline, Mass. The family moved to Sanford, Maine--a nondescript mill
town, essentially Nowheresville, USA. They found their "progressive"
Brookline education had put them *behind* the public school students in
Sanford. My wife's older sister, who was 9 at the time of the move, found
herself almost 2 years behind the Sanfordians.
Another piece of evidence for the destructive influence of John Dewey on
American education.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx