Re: Diacritics in XW for E-Mail

To Dick Giering

Thanks for bringing this up. Had never puzzled out how to enter the
diacritics in Eudora 3, the Win 3.1-compatible e-mail app I use.

This is not the method recommended in Daniel Say's message, but it seems to
work. I sent this message to myself, anyhow, and it came out right.

In WINOS2 Eudora, make sure that Num Lock is ON, then--on the numeric
keyboard--strike Alt + 0 + the ANSI number. The a umlaut is Alt 0228 ä, o
umlaut is Alt 0246 ö, u umlaut is Alt 0252 ü, the eszett if you want it is
Alt 0223 ß, usw. Grave and acute accents, tildes, etc. work the same way.

I suppose this would work in any Windows app.

XyWrite's drill for entering characters by the numbers is different, and
the character set is different, as you know. In XyWrite, with Num Lock
OFF--in its usual position--you strike the Alt+Shift keys and type the
XyWrite number on the numeric keypad: a umlaut is A+S 132, o umlaut is A+S
148, u umlaut is A+S 148, the eszett is A+S 225.

It doesn't take long at all to work up a table of equivalents for the
salient diacritics in the two character sets.

Regards,

Bob Hemenway