slowed copying from Win 98 window to Xywrite (4.018)

In the throes of upgrading from dial-up to DSL, I find that copying text from an email (Compuserve 2000 v. 6 in a window of Win98SE) to Xywrite 4.018 in a DOS window has suddenly become slower and noisier.

I define and copy the text in the email window, then right-click on the Xywrite icon in the bar at
bottom of screen, then edit, paste.

The transfer begins at glacial pace (maybe two or three characters per second), accompanied by a
high tone (A? B-flat?) that pulses as the characters appear.

Any ideas what's gone wrong? Copying and pasting in other Windows apps is normal, as it is also in
Xy itself.

TIA for any clues.

Bruce Felknor

I am exploring a couple of e-mail clients