Re: Re[2]: More about Converting...

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 20 Apr 99 10:16:04 -0500

> Regarding Tim's In.pgm program to convert files into XyWrite, it works with Word
> documents using W4W49f.exe -- text and control codes are preserved. But the test
> documents I've done are triangle city. Am I doing something wrong? Going the
> other way -- from XyWrite to Word works beautifully.

You think the to-MSWord conversion isn't the Word-equivalent of "triangle
city"?? GIVE ME A BREAK! I mean, there's more formatting and bloat in those
things than in a boxcar-load of XyWrite docs. Why do you think the to-XyWrite
conversion has so many formats? Because they're in the MSWord original (of
course)!

Since you subscribe to the idea that WYDKDBY (what you don't know doesn't bother
you), you could issue "func NM", which will "disappear" all the XyWrite
triangles. Alternatively, you can run an XPL PM that eliminates almost all
formatting redundancies. The one I use is attached.

Remember: despite appearances, the filters are NOT running within XyWrite. They
know absolutely nothing of your defaults. They can assume nothing. So I think you
have to cut them a great deal of slack. They do a damn good job.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx