More on NB

I found the problem with saving the U2 in NB 10. Saving it puts an end of
file character (ascii 26) at the end of the file. That makes NB unable to
load it.
Setting the default value of 1A to 1 (both from the command line and in
NB's equivalent of Settings.dfl) does not eliminate the problem. And the
ZAP26 routine doesn't work in NB because nothing that uses the DOS command
will work in NB.

Maybe a substitute for shelling out to DOS in Win7 64-bit can be found.

LoadHelp, LH also doesn't work in NB. Nor does RegData.
When there is an ASCII 26 (1A in hex) at the end of the file, trying to load it produces an error message about a missing }}. But there is no missing }}, it's the presence of the end of file character. I know that, because: a) that's the only difference between the working and the nonworking U2s, and b) booting into 32-bit Win7 allows me to take out the offending eof character, and then it loads fine.
There are also other hopeless bugs in NB 10 v. 22. One of the makes the
program start to misread characters. You try to CAll foo.bar and get a
message that foo.ive (or some other wrong characters) can't be found. The
solution then is to quit out of NB and re-launch it.
Aside from actual bugs, there are many annoyances. One such is that BC
generally leaves the cursor in the middle of the Command Line (re-named the
Action Line in NB). You have to backspace the cursor back to the left end
of the Command Line.

That's just a sample. Beta 22 is essentially unusable for XyWriters.