Re[3]: Screen size

Hi Harry,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am running Tame,
Okay. I see below you're running Pre8. I'm running Pre6, but the same
should apply.
 but XYWrite initially
starts out in fullscreen, DOS mode. Not a maximized window.
I recommend running in a maximized window. It's a personal preference, of
course, but I find everything looks better and is easier to integrate with
Windows operation in a maximized window. Try hitting winkey-Enter and see
what you think.
 So, the
fonts aren't as crisp as a Tame session, but at least I don't have to
make all the changes at the beginning of each session.
All which changes? I don't have to change anything--it comes up as I've
optimized it.
[Wait a minute -- are there autorun macros, like in Word for Windows,
so even in Tame I could have the program run through all the settings
every time it starts? Tame is definitely easier on the eyes.]
Tame has a settings file that should (and for me does) take care of
everything on launch. Unfortunately, Tame files are scattered in various
directories, but look in \Program Files\Tame [or Tame 5.1 or
whatever]\Settings -- in that there should be XYWrite.app.tam -- if not,
look for it in the Templates folder and move that file up to the Settings
folder. There are other initialization files in \My
Documents\Tame\SavedOptions. Anything with Xy or Editor in its name might
be relevant.
I'm sorry this is so complex, but you CAN get everything to launch already
customized.
When I said I set, I was referring to the menu in XYWrite,
Advanced/Defaults/Screen Hardware Settings.
Okay, I don't use the menus, but that seems to set the default SL. Do you
see 50 on the prompt line when in Xy you command: va/nv $sl -- I do.
Even though I'm running Tame 5.1pre8, it doesn't take over the display
until I hit Alt-Enter.
I'm a little baffled: alt-Enter doesn't do anything for me, probably
because my .kbd assignments null out that key combo. Try hitting
winkey-Enter (Tame uses that).
 When that happens the number of lines gets
changed (by what I do not know, but even without Tame, the lines get
changed after switching to Graphics mode or using a U2 routine to go
to another window -- e.g. PostGhost).

The settings in my settingsl.dfl is set at 28, but before when I've
had it set at 43, the screen always went to 50 lines.
By the "settings" in the .dfl file, do you mean default SL? Does va/nv $sl
show 50? I think it should.
The link is cmd.exe /c C:\Xy4\EDITOR.EXE. My _default.pif has the
lines option grayed out, and I don't know where else to change it.

Hope that helps. If you need anymore info, just let me know where to
look. I'm pretty new to XYWrite.
I think this is a Tame issue, not a Xy one. Perhaps Michael Norman can
help, though he's busy right now with end-of-term business at his
university. Tame's David Thomas could help, but his emails are always
telegraphic and difficult to understand.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx