Re: Virus experience

Robert, thanks for all the great advice, most particularly, that about
NetBIOS, which I had installed recently in order to get laplink cable
access to my old W95 Thinkpad. That is probably how I got the virus. But as to
That doesn't sound right. I have a Dell XP machine, and Norton isn't "uninstalled", just turned off.
try uninstalling it. You might get an unpleasant surprise. I have a Dell
Inspiron 8100 only a few months old which came with NAV 2002 pre-installed.
I have spent many hours with Dell techs trying to uninstall NAV 2002 and
regain my internet/ethernet. Nothing works. You either have to sys restore
to the point prior to uninstalling NAV 2002, or you have to reinstall NAV
2002. At the end of my last marathon phone call with Dell, which did not
result in us being able to remove NAV 2002 and still have internet access
through my cable modem and ethernet, I asked, "Well, have I established
that uninstalling NAV 2002 really does disable my ethernet connection?"
"Yes," he replied.
Thinkpads all the way, from now on, for me). ...
As far as I can judge, the Dells are half the price and better built. I had
always been a true Thinkpad believer, but no more. As to the Dell BIOS
irregularities, etc. I have no experience, and have only attempted to run
with XP. Naturally, IBM systems are built to accomodate gracefully a wider
range of OS's -- usually. (At the time W95 came out, there were Thinkpads
that wouldn't run it -- IBM hoped that the OS/2/Win31-compatible
arrangement or whatever it was, would win the day.)