Re: xy dos encryption

Andy wrote:

> Hum, I think ARj & ZIP don't make a real encryption, but a simple
> compression/decompression password protected.

You are probably right about that, which may account for what I observed re breaking
this "protection."

> I remember an old dos utility, perhaps from PCmagazine, but I' m
> unable to find it elsewhere...
>
> I hope that someone could give me the right link ...:)

Not sure if this is the one you were thinking of, but the one I'm sure I have from way
back when is CRYPTOR. It may have been from their "DOS Power Tools" book & set. The
file date on it will be circa 1985-90. As indicated in my earlier message, something
like this will be far weaker than the encryption standards found in many of today's
products, but it would probably offer a decent barrier to anyone who is not a hacker.
If you wish, I could send it to you.

Other than that, you might do a search at some of the major freeware / shareware
archives for some more contemporary utilities. To start, I recommend these:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/

http://www.tucows.com/
(they have many regional mirror sites, around the world, some of which may be closer
to you)

http://chicago.supersharewareman.com/default.asp

I have bookmarks for 8 - 10 other major s/w archives.

Jordan