Re: Can I install Xywrite

Leslie Bialler writes:

≪ You may very well have problems [installing on XP]. XyWin didn't install
with alacrity on prior versions of Windows, so there's no reason to suppose
the issues have been resolved at this late date. Indeed on Win 9x machines,
the program will not close if you click on the X. Frankly, I wouldn't even
bother trying. ≫

Definitely a matter of how you manage it, in my opinion. Though I recall
struggling a wee bit tweaking it, I've had a very long spell without any
problems or conflicts running Xy4DOS within Win95 or Win98. WinXP may be
another matter entirely. Here's another option, though: Pick up a working
486-class or early Pentium-class computer at a yard sale or church bazaar,
and run XyWrite (and perhaps other legacy programs, just for fun) on THAT.
Xy still runs great in MS-DOS 5.0 and MS-DOS 6.22, and people are unloading
old computers all the time! Save the mega-processors and bloated operating
systems for more demanding applications.

Good luck with WinXP, whether or not you try XyWrite on it. If I REALLY get
the urge to install XyWrite on a newer OS, I'll likely opt for NotaBene
instead.

Jeff Seager