XP or 2000

On its Thinkpads IBM offers either XP or W2000 as an opsys option. If I get
W2000 (W/SP4) then I'm assured XyDos will work in a DOS Window with the
Seibert fonts. XP means a lot of jerry-rigging to get the same thing. Is
W2000 a wise choice? What do I lose by buying backwards? Ease of
networking? Some multi-media bells and whistles? XyDos is my central app,
then Reference Manager 10, then the usual e-mail and browser. Thanks.

Michael Norman