couple of glitches

Something has corrupted something in my Xy4.018 under Windows 98SE.

(1) Now when I create a new file or open an old one, what comes up is flush right. To get a new file flush left I have to issue the FL command at the top. Ditto an old file; to get that to flush left I have to command FL. If I call an old file, insert the FL at the top, store it and retrieve it, it appears properly, flush left.

(2) When I enter "today" in the command line, nothing happens; the date does not appear in text.

I can't find anything in settings.dfl governing either of these. I would appreciate any help.

Bruce