Re: ot- buying a new name brand pc with xp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Pareles"
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 1:42 AM
Subject: Re: ot- buying a new name brand pc with xp
" I'm totally laptop nowadays, but whenever I wander into electronics stores, HP always seems to be the most inexpensive brand that's not a no-name. One of my laptops is HP, and while it's not the fastest kid on the block, it's sturdy and reliable. "
maybe so but watch out for support. I don't know how it works in the US but
in Canada HP's product support is worse than useless. I got a Compaq (one of
their lines) a few years agoand it was defective. The problem eventually
turned out to be the hard drive but they insisted it was the CD drive. They
wanted me to replace it myself but eventually, after it locked up and would
not start, they did it and said they had tested everything. Only problem was
when they returned the computer it was still locked up -- still would not
start. At this point Staples took it back and tested it and found the
problem was the hard drive. They fixed it but I had lost a month of working
time and finally they took it back.
Now I steer clear of staples and HP for computers, and advise others to do
the same.

andy t