Re: Screen length--->Install Xywrite

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Sun, 07 Dec
2003 20:05:42 -0500

>> We need a database of printers that work,
>> and *how* to make them work (what PRN to use, etc).

> Perhaps if the XY copyright issues are ever resolved, all those [PRN] files
> could be mounted to (on) XyWwweb. As always XySearch and this list are
> indespensible.

Indiscribably indespensible. Indeed. I wish there were some easy way to
permit users to contribute info (re: printers for example) to a "database" that
would just self-maintain. It's very laborious to be the point person in such
an endeavor. Anybody with a web server care to volunteer? Rarely does anyone
have more than one or two printers, so this is really an optimal situation for
info sharing. But one problem is, I frankly don't trust the statement that
"this particular printer doesn't work", because often you _can_ get them to
work, by hook or crook -- even the supposedly "Win32-only" multifunction
fax/scan/copy/print machines (my HP 1100 multifunction works perfectly). But
brainless, "host-based" WinPrinters are definitely not going to work -- unless
they have a special software driver that rasterizes text (WinPrinters only
understand graphics).

Anyway, most PRNs _are_ presently available, at Brian's xywrite.com

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx