Re: OT: Query on mirroring for Paul Breeze et al.

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Yes, I used to use a pull-out hard drive. It's fine except for a minor
> annoyance: you have to re-boot before putting in or pulling out the drive.
> I don't know why I balk at that: with the way I use my computer I have to
> re-boot three times a day anyway (sigh). But it ain't fun.

That sounds like a vote in favor of an external USB hard drive.

The new REV drive from Iomega sounds intriguing (35G per H/D cartridge, they say up
to 90G with compression), but even if the reviews turn out to be uniformly
excellent (I've only read about 1/2 of one review, so far), the price is still
off-putting. Hopefully their prices will come down, eventually.  In the meantime,
you can get a Maxtor or a Seagate, ext. USB 2.0 hard drive, with up to 160G
capacity, for a bit under $200. Still rather portable, if not nearly as portable
as a REV cartridge. Thus far, I have preferred something I can shuttle in & out
of a safe deposit box (an alternative to having a fireproof safe on the premises),
so I have used a combination of DAT and CDs. The CD capacity has been adequate for
most OS/2 compressed partition images, but for those of W2K or later, forget it !
So I may take a look at burning DVDs. I happen to believe in not putting all my
reliance on one single methadology.

Jordan