Re: OT Re: virus warning

Patricia wrote:

>2. Don't go near Miscrosludge. I don't patch, I don't update, I have nothing to do with that bunch of tyrants ("Oh, we know what you want to do better than you do." In a pig's eye you do.) My last three machines came with Windows installed and validated, and a disc image on a hidden partition for "restore to factory default." If things get really scrambled, I opt for that. It's time consuming, and you must have disks or clean, safe downloads for any apps you need to install, but when it's done, you're clean and your data is safe.

Maybe it is not all that black and white. I have learnt to love my XP, I apply all the security
patches, but I have ditched IE for Firefox. I have opted for stability postponing operating system
updates until absolutely necessary, and, most importantly, I have Acronis TrueImage keeping my daily
automatic incremental backups to another physical disk. This works, almost no hassle, and if
something goes wrong, I just restore a previous state of my machine. I am up and running in 15
minutes just as it was (no downloads, no timeconsuming reinstallations). "Miscrosludge"
has provided me with some of the tools I like most: DOS, Windows 3.1 with great DOS boxes and
Virtual PC. Even the cost over time is minimal.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx