Usb & Dos

From time to time messages mention the shortage of usb
support in Dos.
I've just had a pleasant surprise - a usb numeric keypad
working in Dos without drivers. It's connected to a switch
whose primary task is switching automatically one monitor,
keyboard and mouse between two computers.  As a bonus, the
switch also acts as a usb hub. (Between it and the computer
are two cables - a usb one and a video one; a third, sound,
cable isn't connected).
I tried connecting the usb cable of the keypad via an
adaptor to the ps/2 mouse & keyboard ports but had no luck.
 Having resigned myself to connecting it to a usb socket,
I'd given it up for unuseable in Dos. But to my great
surprise it works fine, in Xy as well as Dos - MSDos 6.20,
not a Dos box.
Junja