Re: off-topic: networking a Win 98 and a 2k machine

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Has anyone on the list tried a KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) switch,
which connects two computers using a single shared monitor, mouse,
keyboard and speaker set?

Yes, I have, two in fact.

One an old manual switch, bought 10 years ago. Worked fine,
save that there was a wavy patch at the left of the screen.

The other's a modern automatic one, sharing monitor, mouse,
keyboard, speakers & 3 usb ports. It offers so many
combinations that I haven't used them all. It's good but
not 100% reliable - sometimes a mouse won't either scroll or
work at all. And of course it has limitations in dos,
speaker sharing being via usb. It's a cheap no-name one,
sent in error by a supplier. Its instructions are ambiguous
enough to be incomprehensible. I think but haven't proved
that it can interfere with mice connected to the standard
ps/2 port.
The biggest problem is not with the switch, it's keeping two computers synchronised ..
John