Re: Pipe dreams

Russ W. Urquhart wrote:

> Secondly, I would be curious about somethings. If some of you remember the wp
> Multimate from Ashton-Tate.

Sure!

> That product, while never explicitly stating it
> in their documentation, was, essentially, the Wang dedicated wp, ported to the
> PC.

Yup.

> They offered conversion from Wang, and other wp's, to Multimate and acted
> exactly like the Wang. (So much so that we at TI, at the time, were able to use
> it to do some documentation.)

Interesting.

> In either case, i'm wondering out loud, what would keep someone

Nothing short of force could prevent you if you knew how . . .

> from writing
> a wp that acted like Xy, accepted Xy files, could export Xy files, and for
> all intents and purposes was like Xy except was deviod of mentioning explicitly
> that it was a Xy emulator?

. . . But the Tech Group would probably sue your butt off if you tried
to do that w/o their permission, which they'd probably not grant. Can't
say that I
I'd blame them, either.

> I'm sure that i don't know all the inner workings of Xy & TTG, but it just
> seems kind of a shame that it doesn't look like much is happening with Xy
> and its future.

TTG uses it as their engine for their legal software, "Smartwords."

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press