Re: U2 hide error

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Fri, 09 Jun 2006
21:28:36 -0400

>> The immediate problem is "JM 2.UNHIDE:01-07Q2 ".
>> The correct usage is JM 2.UNHIDEQ2 .

> YES! Thanks, Carl. Maybe a warning to that effect in the
> .INF file would be prudent (correct syntax for UNHIDE
> is in there, but quietly).

A warning to do what? Read carefully? Not make sloppy assumptions? Should we
repeat every instruction twice?

The WAIT command is an artifact of 3+. It was designed to WAIT until the
immediately preceeding (usually disk or video) operation is complete before
proceeding with macro execution. YMMV.

Incidentally, I don't see what you gain by your adaptation of U2's AUTOFILE
routine. If you just used AUTOFILE as-is, and as designed, you would avoid
errors. You added nothing to it, only the sheer bulk of all those comments.
U2 is already bulky enough! There's a real *reason* why U2 is pithy! It
presently stands at 813Kb (a.k.a. big) and counting. Sooner or later, we'll
hit a wall (I don't want to know when or where, exactly). Before Carl noticed
your UNHIDE error, I was thinking OOM...

Lastly, I've been meaning to ask Carl (and might as well do it publicly) why,
in AUTOFILE, he extracts a colon with > instead of simple
? To be didactic [very sufficient reason!], or ... what?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx