Re: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)

At 08:49 PM 9/28/2006, Robert Holmgren wrote:
 User ingenuity has harmonized every significant
hardware development so far -- XyWrite remains vital and serviceable. It will
continue to work well. I'm not concerned about Vista: I can access a
networked legacy machine from any workstation, just as I do now (all of my
networked machines access a single copy of XyWrite on one computer). Or I
could run it via VNC (Remote Desktop), to overcome the absence of WOW in Vista
-- VNC is instantaneous on a LAN. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Indeed, perhaps TAME is proof of what you say; David Thomas, or
another David Thomas, might write a similar utility to run legacy
programs on Vista. And the network solution you mention should be
doable for anyone on a LAN. I didn't know about VNC, but, doing a
little reading after your post, it does not seem difficult. And I
reckon, judging from the way XyWriters cling to old hardware (until
recently I had not one but two W98 boxes in the attic) many on the
list would be able to set up a dedicated legacy machine. Guess we'll
just have to sit and see; I'm hoping for a Vista-DOS utility. I've
got NB8 and use it occasionally, even tried to give up XyWrite and
migrate to NB full-time, but XY is a hard habit to kick.
Michael Norman