Re: En dash

Yes, it is the en dash I need, used for between numbers. I'll take a look at ANSIfied Xy.

Thanks,
Lisa

From: Patricia M. Godfrey
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, June 12, 2010 12:51:01 PM
Subject: Re: En dash

First of all, what character are we talking about? The en dash (Speedo 259) is a character not found on a typewriter; it's longer than a hyphen but shorter than an em dash, and is mostly used between numbers (Beat the Yankees, 3<1N>0....During the winter of 1939<1N>1940...). The thing you probably want is the em dash (Speedo 260), which is the longest dash in common use and it what you want for a sudden break in thought: "The prisoners--they've all escaped?" It's been represented on typewriters by two hyphens for ages.

The problem is that all the high ASCII chars in XyWrite are peculiar to the Speedo Charset. A lot of them convert correctly using the WordPerfect Hungarian filters, but apparently not the Word ones (I won't have Word on any system of mine). There is a way of getting the universal (at least to Windows) ANSII charset in Xy; search the archives for Ansified Xy and XyAnsi.

-- Patricia M. Godfrey
mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx