Re: Help with TODAY

Carl,

Re HIDE.
I would counsel against that (read on). But, in any event, don't
rely on INF! U2 changes constantly, but the Help screen INFormation
doesn't always keep pace. There is no substitute for direct
examination of the called frame to determine S/G usage.

What I've been doing is a series of searches for numbers:
se /0{N},/
se /1{N},/
etc. where {N} is the number wildcard.
 (Frame
CHKSEQ can help, but it is not foolproof. For one thing, it doesn't
analyze S/G usage in child routines.)

I see. Understood, about the child routines.
You're right about S/G usage in TODAY. My earlier message ignored
the call to DOW (which in turn calls PARSEDATE). The correct HIDE
statement is:

JM 2.HIDE:01-07,51-53Q2 ;*;

HOWEVER, you may not need to HIDE all of those S/Gs! Any S/Gs not
used by your parent program can -- should! -- be omitted from HIDE.
For example, if the parent uses only 01-05, then HIDE:01-05 will
suffice.

Yeah, but the program uses S/Gs up to 60 (excluding 50, of course).
Think about it: There's no need to HIDE any value that
the parent routine doesn't use. That's why the rote HIDEing of all
S/Gs used in a child routine -- even if they could be identified
robotically, which they can't -- is contraindicated. More often
than not, it would be overkill.

Right.
The point here, Harry, is that HIDEing is slow and hogs memory. You
want to do as little of it as possible.

Got it. Thanks!

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx