Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

Hi Bob, re

When I first started to play with Linux, I looked at Gnome and rejected it for a bunch of reasons, including the fact that it didn't allow me to launch programs by keyboard. I went to KDE and stayed with it because it gave me more flexibility and more configuration options. If you launch KDE-desktop I am sure you will be able to do what I'm doing: just run the Menu Editor program to create the shortcuts as I described in my earlier email.

It turns out there is a way to specify custom key shortcuts in Gnome, but it's more complicated. You have to run the gconf-editor (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-create-keyboard-shortcuts-in-gnome/; eudora="autourl"> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-create-keyboard-shortcuts-in-gnome/ ,  for starter info). I used to prefer kde but developed an aversion to a penguin sitting on the panel bar; this'll teach me.

That the macro works for you in a terminal window is a great sign. That it doesn't work from a Gnome launcher suggests that there is an option there that still needs to be set. In KDE you have to tell the shortcut to "run in terminal" to work...

"Run in terminal" I've got; I've also found that I can run it as an application if I run gnome-terminal and pipe the macro command to the terminal. I've had more success with the latter, *if* pasting the wrong text is an improvement over pasting no text.

I have also found that in some cases, to get a command to work in a shortcut you have to put the command or part of it in single quotes. I don't think that applies here, but it is worth trying.

It is worth trying, and I will. My copy and append scripts work fine, so I can go back to banging my head on macros.

I need to find the right sort of semi-idiot's guide to this sort of thing.

Paul

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie