Windows Clash With XyWrite 3.54

I'm hoping someone has experienced a similar problem and can help me here. A
friend of mine posted this on the IBM apps forum and got an answer from Kevin
Duval (which is how I got here), but he had not heard of this problem and maybe
someone else here has.

I have slowly but surely migrated in nearly all applications to Windows.
However, I continue to use XyWrite 3.54 when I don't have to do any fancy
formatting because of all the qualities everyone here knows: speed, the XPL
time-saving programs assignable to keys, the ability o vertically split the
screen and easy transfer back and forth, etc.

But because I'm usually in Windows, Ioften access XyWritewhile I'm in Windows.
I set up an icon for it and filled out a PIF (similar to the one that Kevin put
in the miscellaneous files area under the name EDITOR.PIF)

But too often, when I exit XyWrite to return to Program Manager, I find that PM
returns with all the labels under the icons and in the pulldown menus GONE, or
if they're not gone, replaced by gibberish (with a lot of exclamation points,
in particular). Everything continues to work (i.e., if I click on an icon whose
purpose I know from remembering it's position, the program executes), but in
order to get back PM in proper form, I have to exit and restart.

Does anyone have a clue here how to fix this? It happens sometimes with my DOS
version of Managing Your Money, but much less frequently.

I have a Dell Dimsenion 486/66 with 16 MB RAM and the predictable peripherals,
printer, cd-rom, sound card etc.

I'm conversant with computers and tweaking things, but not enough to get into
the real esoterica or software setup innards. And it's certainly not worth it
to strip my whole configuration down to track down the culprit and then put
things back together again.

So, in the off chance someone has encountered and solved this problem, please
leave a message here, or e-mail my colleague via Internet: bdrake@xxxxxxx.

Thanks