Re: OT: Motherboard replacement without reinstalling Opsys

--- Manuel Castelao  wrote:

> necessary to rebuild the
> whole system, I am not going to spend time I don't
> have in that matter
> because it's possible to install the opsys again
> (W2000 in my case) but
> all the programs I am running it's too much
> (configurations, patches,
> customizations, etc.).

Manuel,

There is a system migration tool in the Acronis Disk
Director Suite that claims to be able to do this, even
if there is a full hardware swap. I have only tried
it once (with eventual success), but there was no
motherboard change in that case. I did proportionally
enlarge quite a few partitions in this migration
however, moving to a bigger drive. I would assume the
program must take changing drivers for new hardware
into account, in order for it all to work.

> By the way: attempting to prepare the terrain, I ran
> Partition Manager's
> 8.01 partition info tool and I received these
> messages: "Warning #113:
> EPBR partition starting at 83538001 overlaps
> previous EPBR partition",
> "Logical starting at 83538126 is not one head away
> from EPBR" and
> "extended volume. Error #114: Logical starting at
> 100984653 is not one
> head away from EPBR". Fortunately, those messages
> refer to the limit
> between a linux swap and a data FAT32 partition, not
> to the main program
> partition (C:) but partition magic is apparently
> unable to solve the
> problem because it sees the whole disk as defective
> and then I can't
> erase those partitions and create them again.
> Grenier's Test Disk
> doesn't detect any problem and I have been working
> without any problem
> for years. Can someone suggest a good partition tool
> to make a further
> diagnostic?
> Thank you very much in advance.

This is quite possibly a separate issue, but I would
say that PM 8.01 (no longer developed, after
PowerQuest was bought out by Symantec) is not
sufficiently up to date, and I would recommend
switching to either Disk Director or DFSEE -- the
latter still being more techie with less
"hand-holding" and a less readily accessible user
interface. I use both, as I think there are some
capabilities where there is no overlap between them.

Hope this helps.

 Jordan