re Opera and other mostly extraneous matters

≪ I am anxious to know how do configure the Opera e-mail
and web browser to be able to locate the remote web server.
This is the message what comes up when I load it. ≫
		--"Morris Krok"

Hi, Morris. If someone else has responded and I missed it,
sorry for redundance:

First, Opera has very limited email capability. If you
want to use it for that purpose you need to configure it
for an external email client.

Since my experience with gui browsers is confined to
Opera and the slowly maturing Amaya, I don't know how
other browsers work, but when you click on a link for
a file that's not on your own machine, Opera doesn't
connect to the Internet; instead it issues the message
you quote. You must get online first.

If you run into trouble doing that with a dial-up connection
from a stand-alone win95 machine, I enthusiastically
recommend NetLaunch http://www.blackcastlesoft.com/,
a DUN utility that's remarkably obscure considering
that--unlike all other such solutions I've come across--
NetLaunch is like one of those perfect little dos
utilities, totally transparent, totally effective. ...

As for 98Lite, when the developer announced it Brian
Livingston, co-author of the biblical Windows Secrets books
(thank you, Dorothy), devoted four consecutive InfoWorld
columns to the topic and a Redmond thug eventually chimed
in. The Lite procedure in fact has also figured in the
antitrust trial. The crux seems to be that you can excise
the MSIE files, but MSIE hooks in the kernel persist.
Since I intend never to use a Windows thus burdened
I expect win95 to be my xyWrite 3 of Windows releases--
the one I'll use forever. Luckily, NetLaunch cured
the only trouble I ever had with win95. The two or
three blue screens of death I've seen have occurred
after I've made a mistake that also would have corrupted
dos protected memory too. ...

xyWrite users who are not similarly resistant to
MSIE-infested Windows upgrades apparently can rest
a little easier about the threatened winy2k removal
of dos services. The relevant parts of dosNB diehard
Paul Andrews' Seattle Times column on the topic are
quoted on my home page (url in my sig). (Incongruously,
Andrews wrote a book that reportedly presents without
irony the MS worldview.) ...

And, finally, also anent the MS worldview: Guess James
Fallows didn't learn xpl when he used xyWrite. His account
http://www.theatlantic.com/cgi-bin/o/issues/2000/02/002fallows.htm
of his six months in Redmond trying to make Word fit
for writers is at the Atlantic site. ... Ciao. 	--a

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: