Year 2000+ computer crash

We've all heard about the problem: when the year 2000 starts, the calendar
function in PC software won't be able to cope.

Well, after a letter in the _Independent_ suggested that this inability-to-cope
might be an urban legend, I tried it out. I changed the date in my PC from 1997
to 2004, and created and saved a sample file. Then I did the same for four more
decades. After reinstating the correct date, I told DOS to sort the directory
in reverse date order; then I called up a directory, and got
	TEST2044       565   3-17->4
	TEST2034       565   3-17-=4
	TEST2024       565   3-17-<4
	TEST2014       568   3-17-;4
	TEST2004       565   3-17-:4

To be sure, this isn't ideal: seven years from now won't be 20:4, it will be
2004. But the sort is correct, and the computer didn't think these test files
were saved between 1904 and 1944. By the time 1999 draws to a close, I expect
that even *I* will have abandoned DOS 6 and Windows 3.1; but if I haven't, it
looks as if the world isn't coming to an end on the stroke of midnight.

Regards to all,
						Eric Van Tassel