Re: Printing to a USB from XyDOS via XyWin

Harry, this looks like a GREAT idea, but I'm running into something weird
here. After changing all instances of c: to d: (which is where I keep my
DOS apps; I think I got them all), XyWin loads and complains that "no Xw
printer file loaded; Printing disabled." I tried adding BX UWf 2 Q2 to
XWPRINT.INT, but it then I got "Printer setup error. No printer device
with this number. No XyWrite Printer file loaded. Printing disabled.
Command not recognized."
I had similar problems. So what I did was to start with a good version of
XWSTART.INT and modify it in stages until it accepted the commands in
XWPRINT.INT as its bottom. (Then I tried eliminating all the lines from the
.int that I could, to see which were unnecessary to get the printing--but
that's really only my fastidiousness.)
 When I load XyWin with my usual XWStart.int and
XWSet.dfl, and command VA/NV $WF, I get 2, meaning that the Windows
driver will be used. I would think that was being loaded somewhere in
XWSET.DFL, but cannot find it, and the Manual says that it's the default
anyway.

I also suspect we may be running into memory problems. XyWin is, we all
know, pretty buggy and was written for Win 3.1. It may have memory leaks,
and if so, repeated switching between it and XyDOS might cause RAM
overwrites. When I went to shut down yesterday, I got a GPF and a black
screen. Now, heaven knows, ANYTHING could have caused that; W98SE is
notorious for shutdown problems. Still, we might want to monitor RAM
while testing this.
I think it's all a matter of what's in the .int file, judging from my
experience. Test it in stages, first beginning with regular XWSTART.INT and
seeing if you can print from that (with no connection to XyDOS). If you
can, you almost certainly will be able to modify the .int to carry out the
printing automatically.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx