Re: XyWrite/NB with BartPE

At 07:16 PM 5/28/2007, J R FOX wrote:
--- Michael Norman wrote: I was about to do a first attempt at making a Bart PE disk when I ran out of time, and had to go out of town. I think I got the prerequisites out of the way, which from what I had read involved having an XP boot partition *at SP2 level.*
Robert points out that you don't need SP2. He says, "an SP1+ \I386 dir is by far the simplest way to go -- and the fastest."
Anyway, both my W2K and XP were put on from Corporate Edition install CDs by me, not there as pre-installs. I'm well aware that Bart can only be done from a fully installed XP, but in *neither* opsys do I see an \I386 directory right off of the root.
I'm not sure about that edition, Jordan. I used a multi-install site-license disk.
W2K has a \WINNT\Driver Cache\I386 directory -- about 70 meg.s worth, ever since SP4 went on quite a long time ago. I believe there is a somewhat differently named \I386 directory on XP, which is also about 3 levels down off the root, and I think that currently hold about 285 meg.s worth of content. I probably can't quote this exactly until I return in a week or so. Someone has a laptop here with XP on it, but it is a pre-load.
Perhaps RH has experience with these editions and iterations of I386 folders.
I printed out the pages you linked for us, and hope this will turn out to be as straightforward as you had indicated.
I followed the script most of the way. I did not add drivers or network support. For the most part, I simply wanted a reliable alternative to the Acronis Unix boot disk. So of course I added the Acronis plug-in, which had a bug, naturally.
Otherwise, I will have to do some slipstreaming, I guess, and rearrange the furniture.
Well, maybe. Again I'm just guessing, but if you still have access to those Corporate CD install disks, why not copy the contents of the XP disk to a folder called WinXP and try the script I followed.
There are several plugins that will be of interest, starting with FireFox (getting this closer to some things the Knoppix cd can do), and replacing that Acronis plugin that never worked on their own cd.
Go here for one that works. http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/index.html. Several iterations available. I've tested the one for Acronis 10 Home. There's also a fix for the one on the Acronis Web site, if you prefer. I'll see if I can find it.
A Xy plugin would be great. Presumably this will take some cues from the "Portable Xy" type of setup, so that there are no hardwired locations to trip over.
Yes, it would be helpful to have a plain text editor on a boot CD. Michael Norman