Re: W2k and flat panel and XY4

Paul Breeze wrote:

> Is anybody using XY4 with w2k and an LCD monitor? I can't get the text to fill the screen when
> using full screen. Is there a solution to this that I don't know about?

See my note to Ken Pole, about the XyList message archives.

I have experimented with this on other people's systems, with results acceptable to them (at least
temporarily), though not to me. Basically, it came down to a quick 'n dirty fix of: full screen
DOSbox, Xy's program shortcut being invoked by a .BATch file (so you get the option of selecting a
different font), choice of Lucida Console font @ 18 or 24 pt. size, and a screen display of up to
50 lines, depending on what seems best to you. Still doesn't look very good, but it's an
improvement, and hey, the problem gets a whole lot worse on a laptop ! Other, more elaborate
solutions have been discussed here, involving some 3rd. party fonts (which I don't know if W2K will
tolerate), etc., but I haven't had time or opportunity to investigate them.

This may hold more than academic interest for me. My 3 year old 21" CRT is showing early signs
of
what is probably a power supply failure. The screen will spontaneously resize and then pop back.
When this gets worse or more frequent, I don't know if the monitor is going to be worth repairing.
If so, the next one may well be a flat panel LCD type -- the largest and best one I can afford.
(I'm not at all impressed with most of the lower priced models I've seen.) But I certainly don't
want one that is going to pose problems for Xy.

Jordan