Re: XyWin follow-up question

Theory is all to the good, but I suggest someone try XyWin
on a Netware 4 setup with Client 32 before attempting to
answer the question of whether it will work. XyWin is a real
16-bit Windows program, at least if you define this by its
integration with Windows--e.g., the latter does the printing
unless you insist otherwise, etc. XyWin is not fully
integrated (e.g., only halfway goes along with the universal
clipboard, can't use TT screen fonts in draft view), but it
is quite a bit more than DOS. It is markedly less quirky and
buggy than WordPerfect and Word (which has a whole book,
_Word97 Annoyances,_ dedicated to its problems!).

One part of Timothy Olson's message I couldn't understand.
What's that stuff about Win98 being the beginning of the end
of DOS? More Microsoft hype? It is nothing but Windows
95.04--an expensive minor update of Win 95 that puts
together on a CD-ROM that program, 2 updates, measures to
further frustrate anyone who doesn't want to waste disk
space on Internet Explorer, and some support for hardware
such as Universal Serial Bus that doesn't yet support *it*
but no doubt will sooner or later. Do you have evidence of
*any* change in its handling of DOS over Win95 with OSR2.5?
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science