Re: More on Tame

I use XY4 on a 1024x768 LCD monitor.  If I run it in a DOS box I can get extremely sharp fonts, much better than with Ultravision in full screen However, as far as I am concerned, XY4 under W2000 in a DOS box, even with Tame, is unusable.  To me the cursor movement is too unpleasant.

Having looked at Linux, I don't consider that to be a viable option now and I cannot see it becoming one for a few years yet.  While it might be possible to get XY4 running satisfactorily, there is no possibility of running the ancillary software that I use continually when working.

Sadly, it seems to me that the time has come to consider whether anything might be gained by switching to either Word or Wordperfect.  One can customise keyboards in both to achieve something roughly similar to XY.  Certainly both have shortcomings but equally so does XY today, and even if we solve this problem, is there going to be another one tomorrow?  My current feeling is that if one is going to switch, then Word is the answer.  I would prefer Wordperfect, but the fonts in the older versions look very unpleasant (I have 6.1) and Corel appears to have managed to make the later versions less easily adaptable for keyboard only use (I have WP8, aka 2000).  The footnote function, for example, seems to me much less useable.

I haven't decided to jump ship yet, but I am certainly going to test the alternatives and see how comfortable I can make them.

Paul Breeze