Problem in Conversion of Xy4 to PDF

I have lurked happily on this list for several years. Started with XyW3+
in 1985 and have been doing sophisticated appellate legal work on Xy4DOS
(vers. 4.017) since about 1993. Normally run under Dos 6 but occasionally
on a Windows 98 machine. We have recently starting exchanging documents
with colleagues and courts in PDF format, which is becoming the standard
for electronic filing of legal documents. A PDF-making program must work
from a postscript printer file, as I'm sure most list-readers know. To
make my PDF file, I generate the document in Xy4, TYpetoFile using
Post47.prn, giving the document a new name with ".ps" extension, and then
convert that file to PDF using the excellent PDF-Creator shareware program
from CAD-KAS which I learned about on this list about six months ago. I
have experienced only one problem, which I wonder if anyone can help me
solve. Post47.prn apparently cannot recognize ASCII 171 as the
one-character symbol for 1/2 (using Eudora, I'm making it now with Alt-171:
½). Instead, when the PDF document prints out, it appears as a tilde
(ASCII 729). (I haven't experimented to see what other symbols might have
similar problems.) Am I right in supposing the issue lies in post47.prn,
not in the PDF-creator? Is this an ASCII/ANSI problem? Can I fix it by
changing a line of post47.prn, or what? Is there a more suitable XyWrite
postscript printer driver I should consider?  I would be grateful for any
thoughts or suggestions.  -- Peter Goldberger, Ardmore, PA