Re: vDosXy - on second display?

Carl, do you go outside?

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Kari,

Robert J. Sawyer has relevant notes about running vDos (and Wordstar).
See: http://sfwriter.com/ws-vdos.htmhttp://sfwriter.com/ws-vdos

Thanks for this useful piece. A few comments:

(1) Unlike the original vDos, VDosXy *does* display the 8.3 equivalents of Windows LFNs in its -- and XyWrite's -- DIRectory listings. This new feature (thanks to CatastrophicAnomaly!) adds tremendous value. For one (obvious) thing, you can edit any LFN in XyWrite by CAlling it with its 8.3 equivalent name. For another, you can open any 8.3 Windows filename in its associated (64-bit) Windows application directly from XyWrite, by commanding:

Xy3:
DOS /C CMD.EXE /C START [filename]

Xy4
DOS/NV/X/Z /C CMD.EXE /C START [filename]

(2) Sawyer's advice to assign the vDos directory to drive Z: didn't work for me in VdosXy. The USE Z: command triggers an error message to the effect that drive Z: is already in use.

(3) The LPT4 method for copying from vDos to the Clipboard works really well. I'm going to adopt it. I'll also look into VPASTE.EXE (the link on Sawyer's page doesn't seem to work).

(4) Apropos of nothing, WordStar has a nice-looking macro language, similar to WordPerfect's.

--
Carl Distefano
mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx