Re: Nota Bene, XY on Linux

Re :Patricia M Godfrey's inquiry about NB/ibidem and alternatives.
I tried Nota Bene for a brief period and was on their listserv during that time. I could not solve some serious screen flicker problems, even with lots of RAM, so I gave up, started using XyDos in the DOS box with Uwe Siebert's wonderful DOS fonts (I'd been using it full-screen with Ultravision for years), and following the same route as several here, found an easy way to work with other windows programs and XyDos (like Reference Manager, my bibliography database program which runs rings around the NB module) and DTSearch, a powerful indexing program. A number of people here have reported that NB is buggy; a number of people on the NB list say the program works perfectly for them and swear by the integration of the various tasks. I had no luck with NB's tech support; others report the opposite experience. My verdict was this: since XyDos is the best WP for heavy editorial work, why not put that at the center of a jerry-rigged suite of programs (WP, bib database, text indexer and retriever) using the best program for each task.
Michael Norman