Re: OT Use of Ellipses (was Wikipedia entry on XyWrite)

What Paul cited is an instance of another problem: the punctuation of
spoken language. The speaker didn't include the punctuation (unless he
or she was reading from a printed text); it's the
reporter's/transcriber's best guess at how to express what the speaker
meant. And not always a good guess. I never hesitate to alter
punctuation in someone's account of what someone _said_, though I'm
punctilious about keeping the words accurate (or using ellipses if
necessary to make the sentence track grammatically).

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx