Re: Virus

                         Michael Edwards.

[Judith Davidsen:]

>A little while ago, out of the blue, I received the email
>instructions below from McAfee for removing the w32/MTX
>virus/worm. In subsequent correspondence, McAfee claims I do
>not *have* the virus/worm but that I have an attachment that
>contains it.
>
>Since the only attachments I've received in the past two
>weeks have been from this list (I haven't had time to open
>any), I thought I should let you all know.
>
>A scan of all my drives didn't pick up anything and I am
>still waiting for McAfee to let me know if they can identify
>which attachment is involved.

   If and when you find out about attachments on this list containing a virus,
could you please indicate which ones they are? I've received a number of
attachments on this list, some of which look as if they might be useful XyWrite
resources. I haven't opened any yet, partly because of the fear of viruses, but
don't want to delete anything that may be useful, but am keeping it all in
anticipation of when I am using XyWrite myself, and for when I am better able to
tell whether something is safe.

 If you know, or get to find out, that anything on this list contains a virus, I would very much appreciate being told what it is. As the world gets more and more dependent on computers, as computers get more and more complicated, and as viruses get more and more common, more subtle, versatile, and complicated, I can't help wondering if the economy and even the whole of society are headed for disaster. I was reading a truly scary article several hours ago about the supposed complete lack of privacy we can expect in the near future, and how even governments seem to be openly supporting the use of hacking and virus-like programs by various authorities to invade computers covertly, and to further control people in various ways. Regards, Michael Edwards.